May 31, 2013

Dumbest Thing Yet?

When I got back from a short ride and hang with Chris Luhman yesterday, I did some slightly-put-off maintenance: oil change, chain clean, lube, and adjust, cooling system flush. As I began the usual process, I flashed back on a rushed oil change I did, near the end of last season, on the V-Strom last year that might take the prize for being the dumbest maintenance move I’ve made in my fading memory.

I did a crap-load of stuff on the bike; from the usual to the once-in-10,000-miles stuff. I intended to do more, but while I was wandering from task to task with no real focus or check-list, I managed to dump a whole gallon of expensive synthetic oil into the fill-hole before discovering that I had yet to replace the drain plug. After smacking myself around the garage for a few minutes, I installed the plug, filled the crankcase with my backup oil (not synthetic), and terminated the maintenance session.

I still need to repack the steering head bearings, but in the mood I was in after blowing $25 in a few moments of stupidity I decided discretion was “the better part of valor” and my bike, too.
Some days, maintenance brings out the really stupid in me and on those days I try to be flexible enough to find something else, something easier, to do rather than continue on the path that will likely end in a screwed up motorcycle and additional expense. How ‘bout you?


4 comments:

  1. Best to do maintenance uninterrupted with plenty of time and alone without distraction.
    I was changing a rear tire for a friend and in haste 'forgot' to check the tire rotation direction when I took the old tire off. He had brought me the wheel off the bike so I had no other reference other than ask him which side the chain was on. I had a 50/50 chance and wouldn't you know it, I got it wrong. As not to ask me to change it again he took it to a shop and they found one of my rim protectors inside his tire. I don't think he has ever asked me to change his tires since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. I've done that with a quart of oil too. I've also put the tire on in the wrong direction. Both were great learning opportunities. I check the drain plug now, and I tripple check the tire direction. Tires aren't fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I drained a transfer case once without removing the fill plug first. Won't do that again. Ended up drilling and tapping the fill plug since it wouldn't come out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got a bad one. Managed to put a brake caliper back on after a rebuild with both pads on the same side of the rotor. Trashed both the caliper and the rotor after 10 minutes of riding.

    ReplyDelete

Disagree? Bring it on. Have more to add? Feel free to set me straight.(Spammers get serious. Spam goes straight to trash and is never read.)