Feb 22, 2019

My Weird Audience


It has become discouragingly obvious that my life goal of having 1,000,000 views on this blog is going to take longer than I'm likely to live. A friend recently asked me, "How do you attract readers to a blog?"

My answer was obviously, "How the hell would I know? I've been writing three blogs since the beginning of this century. Cat videos on YouTube get more hits in a day or two than I've managed in almost two decades." Whine, whine, wimper, wimper, and so on.

Looking at the stats here, there are some surprises. I am amazed that my most visited review was the one of the Yamaha XT350 and #2 was the TU250X review. The XT350 hasn't been in production for years and Suzuki's TU250X was pretty much a bust, sales-wise. I'm really happy to have drawn almost 20,000 people to the Aerostich Darien review, because that is a product that I will always be glad I've owned and recommend the suit and the company to anyone who asks. The friendships that developed from my MMM and Aerostich experience are some of the best things that has come from living in Minnesota and 20 years of writing about motorcycles and the people involved in motorcycling.

61,402 Russian pageviews is either confusing or disturbing; mostly the 2nd. Am I getting hacked? Are there secret messages slipped into my blog convincing you to vote for Trump/Putin and buy a Harley? Everyone else, I'm glad you're here and thanks for reading my words. I am really grateful for the half-million views from my US friends.

About three years ago, I could see the handwriting on Minnesota Motorcycle Monthly's diminishing page count and wrote a piece that I thought sounded the end for the Geezer with A Grudge. Looking back at what I've written between then and now, I'm sort of amazed that I've kept on keeping on. The feedback I've had from you, the fearless readers and riders, keeps me in subject matter and I really appreciate that. I have essays scheduled out to, at least, early 2020 without me having to write another word. Three years ago, I figured that would be enough. "Surprise, surprise," as a goofy American TV character used to say (you're old if you know who).

8 comments:

RichardM said...

I thought he always said "Surprise, surprise, surprise". I guess I'm old...

Kofla Olivieri said...

The easiest way to gain more views and traffic is to read and comment in other blogs.

For the past 10 years I hosted 3 blogs (motorcycles, photography, politics) using the Typepad platform. Now I've decided to merge them all into one Blogger blog.

Only time will tell if I made the right decision.

John Oliverio said...

That TU250 review was how I found you. And I remember writing you back in 2011, before I bought my TU... asking for advice, which you kindly gave.
I bought a TU250 in 2011 and kept it for about 3 years. Taught myself how to ride on it. And did 30k miles before I traded it in on a KLR650.
Since that first ride, I've been hooked. (I'm on my second KLR). I put my truck in the garage in 2012 and since that time, I've only put 300 miles on it. (All due to snow days). I've probably logged somewhere around 60k between the three bikes I've owned. And I've got no plans to stop anytime soon.
I'm sorry to say that I lost track of you some years ago. But as I've rediscovered you, I'll be checking in often. And I'll share your blog with all my friends. Thanks for being here!

Steve said...

Sex sells just saying....

T.W. Day said...

Damn, you are right again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TnkJ8_BmSI

T.W. Day said...

Thanks, John. I'm really glad the TU worked out for you. My brother is still pounding miles on his after about the same period of ownership and a good friend in New Mexico just bought one to, possibly, replace his V-Strom. I'm becoming a little desperate to see the end of this year's constant snow days. I haven't been out on two wheels since mid-January.

T.W. Day said...

I have a duplicate on Wordpress that doesn't draw flies. Good luck with Blogger. I have my fingers crossed that Google doesn't suddenly decide "blogs are dead."

Full Tilt Boogie Moto said...

I just wanted to say thank you for your stories. Geezer With A Grudge is by far my favorite motorcycle blog. Grudge on, and eat your greens.