Sep 10, 2011

They're Havin' Fun Now

A few weeks ago, my wife and I were westbound on I694 when we came upon a dude on a Harley towing a trailer. At least I think he was towing the trailer, he was riding so badly it's possible the trailer was pushing him. As the wind blew the bike-trailer-rig from one side of the lane to the other, he would lean way over to try to coerce the bike back into the middle of the lane. He clearly had no idea how to steer a motorcycle, but he was all duded up in his armored headband, wife-beater with the HD logo, raggedy but stylish jeans, and tennis shoes. I did not have a camera with me, but I'll never forget him.

I will also never forget what my wife said about the boy, "He's havin' fun now."

A couple of days later, my grandson and I were biking around the neighborhood on a summer Saturday afternoon and I decided to snag a few pictures of folks who were having fun at the moment, but would be in a world of hurt if anything (I mean ANYTHING) went wrong.



As my wife says, "They're havin' fun now." If they have to stop quickly, swerve to avoid a bug in the road, or make any sort of emergency maneuver the odds are they will "have to put 'er down" and then they won't be havin' much fun. There are a few helmets in the group, but they are mostly haircut bowls that won't do much for the riders or passengers when the face meets the pavement. No armor, few gloves, awful footwear, just a lot of people counting on luck to save their silly asses and havin' fun now.

11 comments:

ShinyOwen said...

Really have to wonder if any of those people could even define ATGATT? They sure don't live it...

I wonder where I could get an armoured dewrag? Guess I'll have to keep wearing my ATGATT. I can point to the scars on the gear where I went down this year, and was uninjured.

T.W. Day said...

I have seen some awful scars come from BRC crashes. These folks have no clue how easily skin can be removed or how bad that hurts.

Anonymous said...

One of the annoying things is that here in NY helmets are required, but so many wear the crappiest soup bowl type. Still, in the accident reports the newspapers religiously report that so and so was wearing a helmet, which gives the impression that they died despite the helmet. I'm sure that doesn't help encourage wearing a good helmet, not just something that meets the lowest possible legal standard. Still, I think it should be the rider's choice whether or not to wear whatever they want, but it is discouraging that so many are so stupid.

Anonymous said...

Would these people get into a badly designed,difficult to handle,gas sucking cage? Wait just answered my own question.........

T.W. Day said...

Think "SUV's missing two wheels." Yep, you answered your own question. I think the helmet law question was answered when seat belts became required and a primary violation (at least, that's the case in MN). Once cagers were required to wear belts and harnesses, the "liberty" argument for helmetless-ness became irrational; at least to the majority of highway users.

Those pudding bowl helmets are a waste of plastic. If it's not full face, it's not really a helmet.

Anonymous said...

Luv the "SUV missing two wheels" description! Whenever there is one of those charity rides around here, and there seems to be one practically every weekend, it is a whole parade of SUVs missing two wheels. And on Monday there always seems to be a report of some tragic accident during the event...

Anonymous said...

What, no flip flops? Don't they have flip flops in Minnesota?

Chris said...

I'm disappointed you didn't get someone with a fullface helmet and riding coat wearing shorts, flip flops and no gloves.

T.W. Day said...

Hey! There were flip-flops in the pictures. Did you catch the scooter lady in shorts, flip-flops, and a halter-top with her little kid propped up in front of her? Classic.

Young Dai said...

The Harley Trike pictured a couple of shots after the lass on the scooter, tell me he wasn't on the phone as he drove along !

T.W. Day said...

I wish I could tell you what you want to hear, but the boy was yaking on the phone when he blubbered by. Don't you know those loud pipes protect you from all harm?