Jul 27, 2013

Start Seeing Corners and Road Signs

The Star Trib ran an article, sort of parallel to Joe Soucheray's pitiful "goodbye motorcycling" plaintive cry of the wimpy conservative, Rash of Motorcycle Deaths Worries Minnesota Riders, Officials (gotta love the lack of editorial literacy in the Trib's headlines). The gist is "Total fatalities, so far, are up 60 percent over the Department of Public Safety’s tally at this time last year. (The 2012 number later grew once more reports were compiled.)" More to their point, "Since January, more than half of those killed in motorcycle crashes statewide were over the age of 45." Why that surprises anyone is beyond my comprehension.

The one thing I liked about this article was the early sum-up of the season's most typical crashes, "One man, with his wife on board, lost control of his motorcycle on July 4th, killing them both. Another veered off the road on a sharp curve and struck a road sign, dying. A Coon Rapids couple was killed when they crossed the centerline and collided with a pickup." Again, this proves that my intense dislike for the "Start Seeing Motorcycles' campaign is justified. Until we are a small percentage of what is killing motorcyclists, motorcyclists need to quit pointing at other motorists and start learning how to ride or, like Joe, get the hell off of the road.

This is mystifying, "Meanwhile, fewer riders are getting trained. Despite a record number of licensed riders, sign-ups for state safety courses have fallen from their peak in 2008. This season, the Minnesota Motorcycle Safety Center canceled some classes because of low registration." About 1/4 of my teaching season has been cancelled due to low turnout. It's not unusual for August classes to cancel, but early July?

A newbie rider, Harley-shopping guy, Roger Holmes, 59, said it all with his Trib article quote, “It makes you feel good. It makes you feel younger.” Holy crap. One more sucker buying into the marketing bullshit. Dude, you need to have someone take a picture of you and your wife on your hippobike. Put it on your mirror and stare at it every day until you wise up and realize that you not only don't look younger, you look downright silly wallowing around the road on that porker. Exercise will make you feel younger. Eating smart, giving up smoking, drinking less (way less, for you cruiser characters), and reducing the stress in your lives by avoiding stupid impulse buying and idiotic debt will all make you feel younger (and look younger than your dumber Boomer friends).

So-called "motorcycle advocacy groups" are doing everything they can to keep motorcycle deaths high and to kill public roadway access for future motorcyclists in their usual way. This article keeps that trend in place with all sorts of stupid statements. NHTSA has been trying to force some consciousness into state laws by continually chanting the FACT that "helmets cut the risk of a motorcycle fatality by 37 percent. " The let's-kill-motorcycling groups, waste time and energy on fighting helmet laws with all sorts of inconsistent arguments. In this article, I was incredibly disappointed to hear Rider Academy owner/coach, Jed Duncan, say that he opposes helmet laws with the tired and lame argument, “Everybody should be able to choose. At the same time, I wear a helmet every single time I’m on a motorcycle.” If drivers can't "choose" to drive without seatbelts while protected by well-designed vehicles and front/side airbags, what makes motorcyclists special? If you have an answer for that, don't waste it on me. Keep chanting it to your "loud pipes saves anti-social assholes" buddies.

The author of the Trib article actually watched a BRC. One of her comments caught my least favorite part of our classroom song-and-dance, when she described how the MSF program has students watching "short videos of attractive people checking their bikes before a ride." Talk about hyping the motorcycle marketing bullshit about feeling "young" on a bike. About 3 of the people in the entire video series look like our typical calls, but even the least-fit-to-ride old lady imagines herself looking like the Angela-clone on her Harley. This is clearly the influence on the MSF from the organization's sponsors, the manufacturers. If a real safety organization had anything to do with motorcycle training, there would be a section on the aftereffects of crashing. Our version of the old "Highway of Death" programs the pre-political correctness drivers' training programs always ran.

Nothing about this trend is good for motorcycling.

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...

What a data of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable knowledge concerning unpredicted emotions.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...

Aw, this was an extremely nice post. Taking the time and actual effort to create a good article… but what
can I say… I hesitate a whole lot and never manage to get anything
done.

Anonymous said...

Hi, just wanted to tell you, I loved this article. It was practical.
Keep on posting!

Anonymous said...

You actually make it appear so easy along with your presentation but
I to find this matter to be really one thing which I
believe I might never understand. It kind of feels too complex and very broad for me.
I am looking forward in your next publish, I will attempt to get the hang of it!

Anonymous said...

Its like you read my mind! You appear to
know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.

I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a bit,
but instead of that, this is excellent blog. A fantastic
read. I'll definitely be back.

Anonymous said...

I always spent my half an hour to read this website's articles daily along with a cup of coffee.

Anonymous said...

Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you penning this
post and the rest of the site is really good.

Anonymous said...

It's difficult to find well-informed people about this topic, however, you seem
like you know what you're talking about! Thanks

Anonymous said...

I visited various sites except the audio feature
for audio songs current at this web site is in fact marvelous.

Anonymous said...

WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for extra curricular activities essay

Anonymous said...

naturally like your web-site however you have to check the spelling
on quite a few of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very bothersome to inform the truth
on the other hand I'll surely come again again.

Anonymous said...

I'm very pleased to uncover this page. I want to to thank you for your time due to this fantastic read!!
I definitely really liked every bit of it and i also have you book-marked to
look at new stuff on your site.

Anonymous said...

Highly descriptive blog, I liked that a lot. Will there be a part
2?

Anonymous said...

Pretty component to content. I just stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to claim that I acquire actually enjoyed account
your blog posts. Any way I will be subscribing in your feeds
or even I success you get admission to consistently quickly.

Anonymous said...

For hottest information you have to go to see the web and on internet I found this
website as a most excellent website for most up-to-date updates.

Anonymous said...

Appreciate this post. Will try it out.

Anonymous said...

This site was... how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I have
found something which helped me. Many thanks!

Anonymous said...

I like your writing style truly loving this web site.

Anonymous said...

Touche. Outstanding arguments. Keep up the amazing spirit.

Anonymous said...

Good post! We are linking to this great content on our site.
Keep up the good writing.

Anonymous said...

Hello to every one, the contents present at this web page are genuinely
amazing for people knowledge, well, keep up the good work fellows.

Anonymous said...

I almost never leave remarks, but i did a few searching and wound
up here "Start Seeing Corners and Road Signs". And I actually do have
2 questions for you if you do not mind. Is it only me or does it look like
a few of the remarks come across like left by brain dead individuals?

:-P And, if you are writing on additional places, I would like to follow anything fresh you have to post.
Could you list of the complete urls of all your communal sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

T.W. Day said...

You are assuming far more sophistication (or something) than I possess. I do have a Facebook page, that I rarely update: https://www.facebook.com/GeezerWithAGrudge/. No Twitter, a LinkedIn page that I almost never visit or update (I'm retired and want to stay that way), and pretty much all of my output goes to this blog.

Anonymous said...

Awesome post.

Anonymous said...

Great post.

Anonymous said...

It's a shame you don't have a donate button! I'd definitely donate to this superb blog!
I suppose for now i'll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.

I look forward to fresh updates and will share this site with
my Facebook group. Talk soon!

Anonymous said...

Keep on writing, great job!

Anonymous said...

Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you penning this write-up and the
rest of the website is also very good.

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I've been reading your web site for a long
time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from New Caney Texas!
Just wanted to mention keep up the fantastic job!