Oct 27, 2012

If you owned this, what would you do with it?

1974 Bultaco Sherpa T 350 - $4200 (Madison WI)


Date: 2012-10-23, 1:34PM CDT
jmmk8-3359597409@sale.craigslist.org



Completely original 1974 Bultaco Sherpa T 350 trial motorcyle with less than 200 original miles. Runs excellent and lovingly maintained. Additional competition fenders, skid plate and race tags included. This bike competed in Vintage World Trials Championships in Park City Utah! A unique collectors piece. Not many of these around and in this pristine condition. 



I am not and never will be, a vintage motorcycle fan, but this was tempting for a few moments.One, the Bultaco Sherpa T was and is a beautiful motorcycle. Two, I really want to find a trials bike to play with, again. I sold my '86 Yamaha TY350 a few years ago when a knee injury convinced me that I wouldn't be doing that sport again and, now, I'm missing that great bike terribly.

But what would/could I do with a near new 1974 Sherpa T? I'd be afraid to ride it, since anything I do will degrade that stratospheric $4200 investment. Not only do I not have a cool place to display a brand new-looking dirt bike, but I'm not inclined to do that sort of thing. The next bike is even less useful, even more expensive but almost as cool. Lovely to look at, but completely useless.

Ducati 160 "Trials" bike - $1 (So Mpls)


Date: 2012-10-18, 10:06AM CDT
kr5qw-3347514642@sale.craigslist.org
[Errors when replying to ads?]


1965 Ducati 160 Trials (Clone)..... Never produced; previous owners rendition. ALL new. New tires, radial on the rear. Betor forks, Betor gas shocks, Fiberglass tank, Starts easy and runs GOOD. $4,750 obo. Contact Ed at 612.743.4758....... 

 

4 comments:

Erik R said...

I've seen a few more affordable trials bikes on crigslist lately. Mostly older Yamaha 250s. They look like fun, but the older I get, the less I want to fall down and hurt myself.
I think the market for a nearly 40 year old trials bike in pristine condition is pretty small. I'm sure there's some one that would but it. I wish the guy luck at locating a buyer.

T.W. Day said...

I hope you're right. However, I'm reviewing a crazy book right now, "The Harley in the Barn" that is distorting my perspective on reality.

Anonymous said...

I'm not into collecting things. I prefer to use them, old or new, for what they were designed for. If I owned one I would use it, and therefore would lose money, and probably PO various collector sorts.

Anonymous said...

I rode a less than immaculate 1966 Black bomber for many years until the parts supply dried up. Annoying the collectors/ polishers can be a great bit of additional fun when you own a bike like that.

On one wintery occasion, a guy rushed over to me and the bike while I was filling up with petrol. He was almost foaming at the mouth, arms wide open, and a look of utter horror on his face. He loudely berated me for even using the bike on the road, amongst many other sins. When he eventually ran out of steam, I took great pleasure in simply replying, "It's just a bike, it was made to be used", before gunning it out of the station to show him is didn't get an easy time on the revs either.