Aug 12, 2009

Team Riding

I have, officially, changed my mind about group riding. If I could find a crew like this to ride with, count me in. You'll notice they are all wearing helmets, so it's a safe-riding bunch of folks. I particularly like the PA system that allows for giving cagers notice that they need to move out of the path of travel before blowing the hell out of them.

I'm a little disappointed that this practical vehicle wasn't "Made in the USA." Oh well, if it worked for the Germans in 1941, it's probably good enough for me.

4 comments:

Gerry said...

I notice they're not wearing full face helmets, though.

What's the context here? It looks like active duty military posing on a WWII vintage bike. This vehicle is not actually being used for missions, is it?

T.W. Day said...

Good questions. I have no idea. I just stumbled on to the picture and liked the concept. Personally, I'd rather have a photon torpedo than a pair of machine guns, but I'll take what I can get. Honestly, like the soldiers providing their own armor for themselves and their vehicles in Iraq, I wouldn't doubt this is another example of soldiers managing their own equipment, regardless of the silly crap the Army provides. But that's just an opinion with no data to back it up.

Anonymous said...

I do believe that's a Ural with the same color scheme as the vehicle next to the head of the aft-facing pillion. I'm willing to wager that the bike was borrowed for posing purposes from an Eastern European unit located at or near the base where those US GIs are stationed. Of course, this is just the humble opinion of a Tucsonan who is a veteran & a fan of this blog.

T.W. Day said...

It's either a Ural or a real 1940's BMW. I'm not enough of a fan to know the difference. I wouldn't doubt you are right about the origin. Come on, admit it, you'd ride with this group, wouldn't you? Screw lane-splitting when you can do lane-mangling. If we're going to work so hard at alienating the general public, we might as well create some carnage along the way.